- The language that the Quran was revealed in was Arabic. This book has remained unaltered for more than 1400 years, since revelation. When translated into any other language it loses the spiritual effect of knowing you are reciting the very same words the Angel Gabriel said to the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).
- The P. Joseph was very young at the beginning of the chapter. He was his father’s favorite and his stepbrothers decided they wanted get rid of him.
- The type of respect and trust towards his father is amazing. Right after he sees a dream of such status he immediately tells his father and asks his input.
- Nowadays, kids are so aloof from their parents feelings and thoughts about their daily lives that asking their idea about anything would be thought about the people around them as demeaning or such things of the sort.
- We should be proud to be able to connect to our parents in a way where both sides listen and give sincere advice and the latter really takes it to heart.
- Lying is condemned in all societies, but we see now even people who are looked up to as role models ‘get up there’ through untrustworthy means. We see the outcome of the stepbrothers lying. Causing them later on in the Surah to seek God’s forgiveness for their evil intentions against Yusuf(Joseph).
- When told the horrifying news of his most beloved son having been killed, he knew their plot was a lie as he had predicted. Jacob said “Patience is most fitting”.
- Even though he was faced with such a hard tribulation, he approached it in a manner that he knew God had a better plan that humans have no control over. When in these situations, we have to remember to take our worldly precautions, when he disagreed on the idea of Yusuf going with his brothers, and then put our trust in God’s Wisdom and Plan.
- On those hectic days when we are rushing out to work or school and everything seems to be going backwards. You lose your keys, get stuck in traffic and remember you left your briefcase at home. You arrive at your office or campus and your coworker or classmate just lets you know you’ve just missed the biggest meeting with your boss|an important exam that determines you report card grades. Maybe today, God wanted to teach you patience, something you were lacking in, how to keep your head up in crazy times. And don’t think , “Yeah, but why today of all days?”. In His Divine Wisdom today was the best day to teach it. And us humans think we have a logic behind everything we know, in truth we know nothing. After all it is God who created us and gave us this brain with it’s capacity to understand…a miracle. He is the one who possesses all wisdom. So do we really have the right to question His will, when our lives are on it. He can give life and take it away at will. Our job here on earth, where he placed us is to worship him and only him.
- I would love to make more points to continue with the Surah, but here I will stop. I pray we are guided as a whole humanity to The Straight Path. That we become beacons of light that shine brightly amidst all the darkness of the world. We were put on this Earth as leaders, so let us be leaders who stand upright, unwavering for the truth, enjoining good and forbidding evil.
May Allah forgive me for the many shortcomings in this and may he shower his Mercy upon us all.
Alif, Lam, Ra. These are the verses of the clear Book.
Indeed, We have sent it down as an Arabic Qur’an that you might understand
We relate to you, [O Muhammad], the best of stories in what We have revealed to you of this Qur’an although you were, before it, among the unaware.
[Of these stories mention] when Joseph said to his father, “O my father, indeed I have seen [in a dream] eleven stars and the sun and the moon; I saw them prostrating to me
He said, “O my son, do not relate your vision to your brothers or they will contrive against you a plan. Indeed Satan, to man, is a manifest enemy.
And thus will your Lord choose you and teach you the interpretation of narratives and complete His favor upon you and upon the family of Jacob, as He completed it upon your fathers before, Abraham and Isaac. Indeed, your Lord is Knowing and Wise.”
Certainly were there in Joseph and his brothers signs for those who ask,
When they said, “Joseph and his brother are more beloved to our father than we, while we are a clan. Indeed, our father is in clear error.
Kill Joseph or cast him out to [another] land; the countenance of your father will [then] be only for you, and you will be after that a righteous people.”
Said a speaker among them, “Do not kill Joseph but throw him into the bottom of the well; some travelers will pick him up – if you would do [something].”
They said, “O our father, why do you not entrust us with Joseph while indeed, we are to him sincere counselors?
Send him with us tomorrow that he may eat well and play. And indeed, we will be his guardians.
[Jacob] said, “Indeed, it saddens me that you should take him, and I fear that a wolf would eat him while you are of him unaware.”
They said, ” If a wolf should eat him while we are a [strong] clan, indeed, we would then be losers.”
So when they took him [out] and agreed to put him into the bottom of the well… But We inspired to him, “You will surely inform them [someday] about this affair of theirs while they do not perceive [your identity].”
And they came to their father at night, weeping.
They said, “O our father, indeed we went racing each other and left Joseph with our possessions, and a wolf ate him. But you would not believe us, even if we were truthful.”
And they brought upon his shirt false blood. [Jacob] said, “Rather, your souls have enticed you to something, so patience is most fitting. And Allah is the one sought for help against that which you describe.”
And there came a company of travelers; then they sent their water drawer, and he let down his bucket. He said, “Good news! Here is a boy.” And they concealed him, [taking him] as merchandise; and Allah was knowing of what they did.
And they sold him for a reduced price – a few dirhams – and they were, concerning him, of those content with little.
And the one from Egypt who bought him said to his wife, “Make his residence comfortable. Perhaps he will benefit us, or we will adopt him as a son.” And thus, We established Joseph in the land that We might teach him the interpretation of events. And Allah is predominant over His affair, but most of the people do not know.
And when Joseph reached maturity, We gave him judgment and knowledge. And thus We reward the doers of good.
And she, in whose house he was, sought to seduce him. She closed the doors and said, “Come, you.” He said, “[I seek] the refuge of Allah . Indeed, he is my master, who has made good my residence. Indeed, wrongdoers will not succeed.”
And she certainly determined [to seduce] him, and he would have inclined to her had he not seen the proof of his Lord. And thus [it was] that We should avert from him evil and immorality. Indeed, he was of Our chosen servants.
And they both raced to the door, and she tore his shirt from the back, and they found her husband at the door. She said, “What is the recompense of one who intended evil for your wife but that he be imprisoned or a painful punishment?”
[Joseph] said, “It was she who sought to seduce me.” And a witness from her family testified. “If his shirt is torn from the front, then she has told the truth, and he is of the liars.
But if his shirt is torn from the back, then she has lied, and he is of the truthful.”
So when her husband saw his shirt torn from the back, he said, “Indeed, it is of the women’s plan. Indeed, your plan is great.
Joseph, ignore this. And, [my wife], ask forgiveness for your sin. Indeed, you were of the sinful.”
And women in the city said, “The wife of al-‘Azeez is seeking to seduce her slave boy; he has impassioned her with love. Indeed, we see her [to be] in clear error.”
So when she heard of their scheming, she sent for them and prepared for them a banquet and gave each one of them a knife and said [to Joseph], “Come out before them.” And when they saw him, they greatly admired him and cut their hands and said, “Perfect is Allah ! This is not a man; this is none but a noble angel.”
She said, “That is the one about whom you blamed me. And I certainly sought to seduce him, but he firmly refused; and if he will not do what I order him, he will surely be imprisoned and will be of those debased.”
He said, “My Lord, prison is more to my liking than that to which they invite me. And if You do not avert from me their plan, I might incline toward them and [thus] be of the ignorant.”
So his Lord responded to him and averted from him their plan. Indeed, He is the Hearing, the Knowing.
Then it appeared to them after they had seen the signs that al-‘Azeez should surely imprison him for a time.
And there entered the prison with him two young men. One of them said, “Indeed, I have seen myself [in a dream] pressing wine.” The other said, “Indeed, I have seen myself carrying upon my head [some] bread, from which the birds were eating. Inform us of its interpretation; indeed, we see you to be of those who do good.”
He said, “You will not receive food that is provided to you except that I will inform you of its interpretation before it comes to you. That is from what my Lord has taught me. Indeed, I have left the religion of a people who do not believe in Allah , and they, in the Hereafter, are disbelievers.
And I have followed the religion of my fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. And it was not for us to associate anything with Allah . That is from the favor of Allah upon us and upon the people, but most of the people are not grateful.
O [my] two companions of prison, are separate lords better or Allah , the One, the Prevailing?
You worship not besides Him except [mere] names you have named them, you and your fathers, for which Allah has sent down no authority. Legislation is not but for Allah . He has commanded that you worship not except Him. That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know.
O two companions of prison, as for one of you, he will give drink to his master of wine; but as for the other, he will be crucified, and the birds will eat from his head. The matter has been decreed about which you both inquire.”
And he said to the one whom he knew would go free, “Mention me before your master.” But Satan made him forget the mention [to] his master, and Joseph remained in prison several years.
And [subsequently] the king said, “Indeed, I have seen [in a dream] seven fat cows being eaten by seven [that were] lean, and seven green spikes [of grain] and others [that were] dry. O eminent ones, explain to me my vision, if you should interpret visions.”
They said, “[It is but] a mixture of false dreams, and we are not learned in the interpretation of dreams.”
But the one who was freed and remembered after a time said, “I will inform you of its interpretation, so send me forth.”
[He said], “Joseph, O man of truth, explain to us about seven fat cows eaten by seven [that were] lean, and seven green spikes [of grain] and others [that were] dry – that I may return to the people; perhaps they will know [about you].”
[Joseph] said, “You will plant for seven years consecutively; and what you harvest leave in its spikes, except a little from which you will eat.
Then will come after that seven difficult [years] which will consume what you saved for them, except a little from which you will store.
Then will come after that a year in which the people will be given rain and in which they will press [olives and grapes].”
And the king said, “Bring him to me.” But when the messenger came to him, [Joseph] said, “Return to your master and ask him what is the case of the women who cut their hands. Indeed, my Lord is Knowing of their plan.”
Said [the king to the women], “What was your condition when you sought to seduce Joseph?” They said, “Perfect is Allah ! We know about him no evil.” The wife of al-‘Azeez said, “Now the truth has become evident. It was I who sought to seduce him, and indeed, he is of the truthful.
That is so al-‘Azeez will know that I did not betray him in [his] absence and that Allah does not guide the plan of betrayers.
Note: This is not the entire Surah I may be able to put the rest up later